The Royal Wedding – Why You Should Care
I was a little surprised Saturday when I scrolled my social media feed and saw that there were numerous posts stating why Black Americans shouldn’t care about the Royal Wedding. I saw everything from “we want a monarchy so bad that we’ll accept anything” to ” didn’t we fight a war to get away from the monarchy” and “she’s not the first black princess anyway”. But if you are an entrepreneur, you should care what happened at the Royal Wedding. Not just because Bishop Curry gave an outstanding message, or the choir has made “Stand by Me” my new favorite song to sing to my Boo. You should care because major events like the Royal Wedding can signal trends that you can leverage for your business.
Now, in the interest of full disclosure; I didn’t get up a 4:00am to watch the wedding. I knew MSNBC was going to show a replay at 5:00pm. That was definitely a better viewing option for me. But as I watched, I thought about the ways some of my clients may be able to meet their client’s needs. Here’s what stood out to me:
- Meghan’s gown lacked bling. Fashion Designers may see more clients asking for simple yet elegant formal wear.
- Her make-up looked very natural. Makeup artists may have clients leaning towards a more natural look that emphasizes natural beauty verses achieving the perfect look.
- Can I talk about that hat? You know the one Doria Ragland, the mother of the bride, wore? It was fab-u-lous! Now, I am not a hat lady but I’m already trying to find a similar crown for my locs.
- Bowl Food. Now before Saturday I had no idea what bowl food was. It’s a little more than a hors d’ouvres but smaller than a full meal. It gives guests the ability to eat but still walk around and socialize. If you are a caterer, you might want to offer your clients cute little bowls of food instead of those little plates that make me terrified that I will drop something on the floor.
- The Cake. If you bake, you probably want to create a lemon, elderflower and lemon curd dessert. I have no idea what elderflower taste like but imma hit up my favorite baker, Towanna Love, to see if I can get at least a cupcake.
- There was an aerial shot of Harry and Meghan in the carriage. Since drones were not allowed, the photographer, Yui Mok, took the picture from the roof of a building. Now I’m not recommending that you start scaling buildings, but as your creativity increases, so will your ability to get “the shot” that has everybody talking about you.
- Yui Mok sent his pictures to an editor right from his camera so they could be cropped and cleaned up literally on the spot. Your equipment might not be that fancy, but a photographer may want to partner with someone who specializes in editing. Together you can click and crop those pictures and get them on-line faster.
Now weddings and red-carpet events may never be your things. But to be strategic about your business you should at least try to catch trends as they happen. You don’t want to turn away customers because you aren’t prepared to provide what everyone is looking for. And for those who didn’t watch for political or other “woke” reasons, I’m a witness that you can enjoy the Royal Wedding and The Black Panther movie in the same weekend.